Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Happy Birthday, Hunter!






My baby is 2! And to top all of that off, he no longer sleeps in a crib! And he's asking to go on the big boy potty! Can someone PLEASE slow this train down? This child entered our life two years ago on July 13 on the first day of a major heat wave. To say we were surprised to find he would be joining our family would be an understatement -- his big brother (a very strong-willed and loud baby) was only 8 months old when I found I was pregnant for the 3rd time. I confess to spending a fair amount of time crying in the bathroom before I shared the surprise with my husband.


But God knew what He was doing, in His Infinite Wisdom. 8 months after the shock of my life, we welcomed into the world the most delightful, content, happily laid back child I have ever seen. My 2nd son was exactly what God knew I needed. He should have been called the Hudson Whisperer (think Horse Whisperer), because as a baby, his mere presence calmed his 17 month-old brother who rarely sat still and never did so quietly or without a fight. His smile and sweet personality soften the angriest of moods. Even now, in the midst of the terrible two's (and yes, we are going through them), he manages to be sweet and agreeable. He is still my cuddle-bug. He might be getting louder, and he's learning how to fight back (necessary for survival in our house!), and who's now driving tractors like his big brother and playing the piano next to his big sister. But at the end of the day, he's still the one who wakes up smiling and singing and patiently waiting for us to greet him for the day.


I have no idea where the last two years have gone. But I do know that I have cherished every single minute I've had with our surprise blessing. God sent Hunter to us exactly when we needed him, to remind us how to smile and laugh and love life no matter what. He brings out the best in us and his brother and sister. And I can't wait to see the tender, caring, funny man he will grow to be. But in the meantime, I think I'll just savor ever minute with my baby...my little boy.
And in true household fashion, he deserved a special cake. He asked over and over for tractor cake, so we came up with this excavator. Super simple, inspired by Family Fun Magazine, and loved by the guy that mattered -- Hunter! Anytime someone would mention his birthday or how old he is now, he'd respond with "I had a John Deere Tractor Cake"....okay, so it doesn't really say John Deere anywhere, but our boys live and breath John Deere, so if he thinks this looks like John Deere, well, I will take that as a compliment! Enjoy! (Sorry for the poor picture quality, and for the poor frosting on the cake....I'm not a professional...just doin' it for my kiddos!)

9 comments:

Lisa Hetrick said...

Happy Birthday Hunter. What a great cake! Lisa SBS10

Latisha said...

Happy birthday to your baby!! I know mine is 7 and it makes me so sad how fast they grow up >"<

Mary said...

Your kids are so cute but more than that, your photos are so crisp and clear capturing the moment soooo well! I envy your camera and talent!

I nominated you for the Brilliant Weblog Award. Check out my site for details!

Whimsey said...

OK, that cake is BEYOND adorable; hope you had a fabulous b-day Hunter!!

Sara Frawley said...

How cute is that cake? I have two little boys in my household who would be honored to have such a great cake... I only hold enough talent in baking to fill the round pans and stack the cakes. Hats off to you Alyssa!

stampingmommy said...

Happy belated birthday to your baby!! My baby is getting ready to turn 4 and I can't believe how time flies!!
Fabulous cake! Any little boy would LOVE to have such a great birthday cake!!!
Heather (SBS)

Lori said...

Your cakes are sooo cute, they are very lucky children to have a mom that makes such fun theme cakes...I envy you!!!

Rochelle W said...

Now that is a birthday cake any boy would love.

Anonymous said...

Your cake is wonderful!! I can totally see the mommy love.
My name is Shannon, I was looking for tractors for a tractor cake.
From one mom to another...congrats on your wonderful family, just want you to know that I really like your cake!
Shannon
ourfriendscakes.com