Sunday, June 19, 2011

Day Twelve -- Fruit of the Spirit: Patience

"But whoever would be great among you must be your servant ... " ~Matthew 20:26

I remember so well when my husband and I first met.  I couldn't wait to spend more time with him!  I knew this person was special and there wasn't enough time in each day for us to spend together.  A little later in our relationship, I couldn't wait to get engaged!  After our engagement, that wedding just couldn't come fast enough.  I was so fired up for the big amazing things (and so lacking in patience) that I could easily have missed the everyday, mundane moments that made our relationship so special.

In the LG, Brooke's encouragement is very much along these lines.  I've included a bit of it below.  

"I'm convinced that God cares less about how much I accomplish in life...the 'great things' I do in His Name...than He does about how I respond to the things He allows into my life on the daily.  Some of the most accomplished in the Kingdom of Christ are those whose names you and I will never know this side of heaven.  And greatness is only measured by how well we respond to Christ in the little things.  Being patient for what God's plan is and not necessarily pursuing our own dreams."

Oh boy.  Those words -- God's plan.  It's so hard sometimes (okay, MOST times) to step aside and let God's plan lead us.  It can be challenging and frustrating to find contentment and peace with life "as is" and to be patient for the things God has in store for us down the road.  

Brooke has quoted Paul E. Miller several times recently on her blog and facebook page.  In his book,  A Praying Life: Connecting with God in a Distracting World, Paul has this to say about greatness:

"Underneath her obedient life is a sense of helplessness.  It has become part of her very nature...almost like breathing.  Why?  Because she is weak.  She can feel her restless heart, her tendency to compare herself with others.  She is shocked at how jealousy can well up in her.  She notices how easily the world gets its hooks into her.  In short, she distrusts herself.  When she looks at other people, she sees the same struggles.  The world, the flesh, and the Devil are too much for her.  The result?  Her heart cries out to God in prayer.  She needs Jesus."

Friends, be encouraged today.  Know that your "ten little prayers" are part of the little things that matter most.  Do you think you're teaching your son(s) that the "little things" are what matter most?

As you cover your sons in prayer today, I will be covering you in prayer for strength and endurance, for God to move in the hearts of your sons, and for patience for all of us.  And for those men who are joining us today -- HAPPY FATHER'S DAY!

May our sons be strengthened with all power, according to God's glorious might, for all endurance and patience with joy (Colossians 1:11)

No comments: